Below is our class schedule for teens for Winter 2018, with links to each class’s registration page. You can also see a calendar view of all winter classes here, with class information and links to registration pages.
Introduction to Acrylics: Process, Color, Style, 12-17 years
This course will introduce students to the wide properties of acrylic painting. It will cover materials and set up, color mixing and pigment choice, brush handling and palette knife techniques, as well as gels and mediums. Students will create three painting studies, each one looking at a different style of painting. Class will cover classical realism to more abstract styles using under-painting and glazing techniques as well as impasto textural effects. This foundation course will give students the tools and confidence to continue to create paintings after the course. All materials included.
Teacher: Brittany Lawrence Root
- Tuesdays, 12-17 years, Jan. 9 – Feb. 27 (8 weeks), 7 – 9pm. $255; early-bird price: $240 (expires Jan. 1), maximum 8 students. Register here.
Adobe Photoshop, 12-16 years
Teacher: Joanne Edwards
Learn the basics of Adobe Photoshop. Students will be lead through a project with lots of room for experimentation and exploration. Adobe Photoshop is an extremely powerful application that’s used by many professional photographers and designers. You can use Photoshop for almost any kind of image editing, such as touching up photos, creating high-quality graphics, and much, much more. This program can be used to create images from scratch or to alter existing images.
There is a $15 fee to use our computers w/Adobe Photoshop. AH7 pays a monthly fee per computer for Adobe Photoshop.
Because of this, students must register at least a week before class starts to ensure we have a computer with Photoshop installed for them. You may bring your own laptop if you already have Adobe Photoshop.
- Thursdays, 12-16 years, Jan. 11 – Feb. 22 (7 weeks), 7 to 8:15pm, $245; early-bird price: $225 (expires Jan. 1), maximum 8 students. Register here.
Digital Photography, 9-13 years
Students will explore the basics of photography on a phone or tablet. We will learn about composing a shot and shooting from different perspectives, point of interest, rule of thirds, leading lines, and telling a story about a person, place or object. We will also explore basic editing and digital darkroom techniques using the Snapseed app. Students should come with a phone or tablet.
Teacher: Kerensa McConnell
- Tuesdays, 9-13 years, Jan. 9 – Feb. 13 (6 weeks), 4:45 to 5:45 pm. $180; early-bird price: $165 (expires Jan. 1), maximum 6 students. Register here.
Drawing, 9-13 years
Students will create drawings in a variety of mediums – pencil, ink, charcoal and pastels. Through the series of projects, basic elements of art – line, shading, color, perspective and composition will be discussed. Students will draw from life, from photographs and from their imagination. Materials included in tuition.
Projects vary each session. So you can sign up for multiple sessions without repeating lessons.
Teacher: Anne Browne
- Fridays, 9-13 years, Jan 12 to March 9 (7 weeks), 5 to 6pm, no classes on Jan. 26 and March 2, $195; early-bird price: $180 (expires Jan. 1), maximum 8 students. Register here.
Drawing 101, 12-16 years
Teacher: Joanna Edwards
This class provides first-time/beginning students with a solid foundation in drawing. Working with pencil and charcoal, students learn to use line, value, gesture, and perspective. Students also learn to develop the ability to see as artists. The class works with a variety of subjects including still life, landscape and portraiture.
- Wednesdays, 12-16 years, Jan. 10 – Feb. 14 (6 weeks), 7 pm – 8:15pm, $210; early-bird price: $225 (expires Jan. 1); maximum 10 students. Register here.
Oil/Acrylic Painting/Drawing for Teens
In this small class, Anne will work with each student individually on what their focus will be, i.e., figures, landscapes, animals, still-life or abstract. Demonstrations will be given throughout the session on the elements of art—color, perspective, line, shading . . . as well as technique—from the use of different brushes, the layering of colors, to glazing.
Teacher: Anne Browne
- Fridays, 12-17 years, Jan. 12 – March 9 (7 weeks), 3:30 to 4:50pm, no classes on Jan. 26 and March 2, $295; early-bird price: $280 (expires Jan. 1); maximum 5 students.
Painting and Drawing, 8-12 years
Students will enjoy learning about art’s basic elements of through a series of projects using a variety of mediums – pencil, ink, charcoal and pastel. Line, shading, color, perspective and composition will be taught throughout the session. Materials included in tuition. Projects vary each session, so you can sign up for multiple sessions without repeating lessons. Materials included.
Teacher: Ashley Hendrix
- Wednesdays, 8-12 years, Jan. 10 – Feb. 28 (8 weeks), 4:30 – 5:30pm, $255; early-bird price: $240 (expires Jan. 1); maximum 6 students. Register here.